Shiyu cut 12 inches of her hair while she was home and donated it to Locks of Love(2nd time in 3 years)
Isn't her haircut darling??
H got a haircut too the same day:)
If you have read my blog for any length of time you know that 3 years ago we hosted a Chinese exchange student for her junior year of High School. You also know what an advocate I am for this program. It seriously was one of the best experiences we have had in our adult life. Shiyu came to our home in Aug 07' as a 16 year old student from Chongqing, she quickly just became one of us and is our other Chinese daughter. We love her, we are so proud of her, we miss her, we love her family in China(we spent 5 days with them prior to picking up Hayden in Taiwan) She is just a part of our family. I think she feels completely comfortable having 2 families and she just blends in with us when she is home for the holidays.
She goes to school in Ohio(too far away) and we love that she wants to come home to us during the holidays. She just spent 10 days with us(too short and too fast of a visit) and I must say having her home was AWESOME!!! She embraces being Hayden's big sister in a way I can't describe. I would be tempted to tell you that other than when they were sleeping she and Hayden were attached at the hip. They played for countless hours in the play room, they read books, they watched Marmaduke at least 20 times I think(I am so sorry Shiyu) Shiyu spent a lot of time teaching Hayden words in Mandarin(BTW, Hayden has a knack for all languages) Shiyu babysat one night for us to have a date night(went to see The King's speech....highly recommend) She cooked Chinese food for us. I know you are shaking your head thinking man did you give her any time to relax?? I just can't tell you the love between these two girls. Hayden ADORES Shiyu and I guess I would say the feeling is probably mutual for Shiyu. She and her friends read my blog at school(to see what Hayden is wearing:) She shows them Hayden videos. Hayden is the sister that Shiyu doesn't have back in China(even though she keeps telling her parents that adopting a baby would be a great idea for them)So today was the day for Shiyu to head back to school. A VERY SAD day for all of us, but especially for Hayden. She did pretty well until we got back in the car, and then she threw a ROYAL princess tantrum informing me that Shiyu buckles her in....not me!! Shiyu has been riding in back with her and getting her in and out of the car the last 10 days. After that she just melted with "I want her to come back and stay at my house, I want Shiyu to come home" It was so sad!! The good news is that Shiyu's mother and aunt are coming in March for a visit(her mom's first to the US) and we are hopful that we will meet them in Cali!! Then we hope that Shiyu decides to go to grad school a little closer to home(I hear TCU and SMU both have good MBA prgms) Anyway, Shiyu if you are reading this, you are already sorely missed and we can't wait to see you in March. We love you very much and we are so incredibly proud of you and the young woman you are becoming.













4 comments:
Love this post. You heart is in exactly the same place as mine when it comes to host daughters. Yaolin flew back to D.C. this morning and we already miss her terribly. WOW to Hayden's counting! Tell Shiyu that I would love to take her to lunch some time. She's 15 minutes away from me :)
Oh, that got to me too! What a marvelous young lady! Those 2 girlies look made for one another!
Love the darling haircuts too!
Hey, thanks for the nudge to join FB...LOVING it! :)
How lucky that Hayden has Shiyu. I loved hearing her count in Chinese.
I totally agree - hosting exchange students is a life changing experience! Our student, Janina, was from Ecuador. Our entire family loved and adored her - and we continue to do so today - 3 years later!
So happy that Hayden has Shiyu as an additional sibling!!
Post a Comment