Pink Velvet Baby

Monday, January 17, 2011

Pre-school interviews





Wow we just went and interviewed our first pre-school.  Yup, how is it already time for Hayden Magee to be getting prepared for school?? 
I had to laugh as I prepared this weekend for this interview.....I am fairly certain I spent more time preparing my list of questions and concerns than I did selecting the college I would attend:)
Pre-school I think is different than the "Jack & Jill pre-school" I attended oh so long ago.  School is school and daycare is well daycare and far less superior, and trust me there is a difference(at least here, and so I have been told)  I feel like I have to defend the schools we are interviewing  Curriculum is VERY important when you are 3!! 
I have made my short list of schools to visit based on my long(and sometimes ridiculous) list of priorities. 
The school we visited today is a beautiful facility, brand new building.  Director with a doctorate in early education, all the teachers have 4 year degrees in education.  They have camera's everywhere and you can observe at any point and time in the day, everything is child friendly and height(the cutest toilets I have ever laid my eyes on) The have a great curriculum, and Hayden seemed very comfortable
But it is the terribly close, and it is TERRIBLY expensive, and it is VERY new.  
I don't have a true gut feeling yet as this was our first visit, I think after visiting the other two I will have a better feel and intuition about where best to send her. I think it will be clear to all of us the best choice.  Hayden did great on the visit, she wowed them with her vocabulary as she told Miss Lacy that all animals have nostrils, and that she has 2 nostrils, but dolphins have one called a blow hole(sigh) 
What I do feel in my gut is sad.....right now I simply cannot imagine not spending our days together...everyday, all day long.  I know she is ready(hence the discussion about nostrils) but I know I am not even close right now. I am sure when it comes time and she LOVES it; I will feel much better.  But it will never be the same......once we start, we then always have school in our schedule; for the next 16 years I will have to share her with the rest of the world. 

Seriously how cute does she look though??? 

4 comments:

michelle said...

Hayden is just too adorable! It is hard to let go and I can't imagine how I will be next year when it's Lexie's turn to start preschool.

Definitely compare all of the schools before you make a final choice. It does sound like Miss H is ready. I love what she says about animals and dolphins. I told Eric that Lexie needs to hang around her when we see you in August. Hayden needs to help build up her vocabulary!!

Lisa said...

You will be fine my friend.. you know Hayden will take over where ever she attends. Here in Long Island..most of our daycares and our preschools are one and the same at age 3 and up... they each have a cirriculum they follow. There are so many around here there doesnt seem to be the competition that you feel there in Texas... well good luck with all that..
PS I love H's dress.
Lisa

Lisa said...

She does look cute (SUPER cute!) and ready to tackle school....but not just yet Mama! :) You have some glorious months ahead just the two of you still and when that first day of Preschool does finally come, it WILL be different(your hunch is right on!) but you will love seeing her bloom in a new direction and relish seeing her social circle grow and flourish! So many other things too!

Lauren made of her bestest friends at the age of 3 in Preschool and today though they are in different elementary schools, their bond (and the bond between we Mamas) remains true and strong.

Thinking back to that helps me a bit as we begin preparing for Tyler to attend Preschool next Fall also.

Hugs my friend; it sounds like it was a lovely visit and a great first start!!!

And nostrils??? Wow....I mean...wow! (as an aside note: your sweetie is talking about blowholes and nostrils and my little guy has been delighting in pointing out his (and other peoples' butt cheeks & *worse* of late.....*sigh*) LOL Never a dull moment!

Lisa said...

Oh gosh, now you have me even more worried about pre-school interviews. This is on our list of things to do in the next month and I'm terrified that I'm not going to know what to look for or ask once I get there. I hope you find the perfect school for Miss Hayden. Good luck on the rest of your hunting.