I have a new motto….everything is bigger and better in ChinaJ
Well I am now a year older and let me say hands down one of
the BEST birthdays and most memorable in 45 years!! I was hoping and praying to skate by without
anyone knowing it was my birthday, I had sworn David to secrecy and we have not
talked about my birthday to Hayden in lord knows how long and certainly had
never told her I would have my birthday in China. But I should have known that Shiyu would not
forget and until the night before I was convinced that I had made it smooth as
silk….we would be able to just go thru the day just like any other, but someone
accidently spilled the beans while Shiyu was not home. I had wondered why she avoided any discussion
of doing something on “Thursday” Anyway, it was HUGE, and fun and certainly a
lovely way to remind me that I am not 15 years from being 60!!!
| Mama picking out fish for dinner (still swimming) |
I spent the afternoon at the spa, and experienced a 3 hour
(yes 3 hours) facial. I have no idea
what they put on or did to my skin, but it was rubbed in every way possible,
and I think every lotion and potion EVER made has been slathered onto my face
and neck. At one point something very
hot that had a weird smoke smell was rubbed over it and while I had no idea
what it was doing….it felt great and I tried to just enjoy EVERY single
second. My last “personal” spa
experience was 3 years ago when we were here and had a 2 hour massage!! I could seriously get use to the skin regimen
that Shiyu’s mom sticks to(that is why she looks so young) I might not look twenty years younger, but
rest assured it feels twenty years younger.
It was awesome, except when the mgr like woman came in and at some point
discussed my freckles and while inspecting my arms she then pulled the sheet to
check out my legs…I could tell by her tone that she was saying “those dumb
Americans and what they do to their skin” The Chinese do everything in their
power to stay out of the sun and keep it off of them when they are forced into
the sun(hence all of the umbrellas) I am also sure that every single girl who
worked there came in to say hello to Hayden.
Once again she was the celebrity of the hour(in this case 3 hours) By like the 10-11 girl, Hayden barely lifted
her head from her toys to say “hello” I
think she does not know what to do with the excessive attention she has
received.
We headed home, with a quick stop to pick up all of the
“fresh…still swimming” seafood for dinner.
We walked into a house that smelled amazing….yep here we go on the GREAT
food again. It appeared to me that about 10-12 things had been cooked and the
fish was just getting there. There was a
HUGE cake sitting in the middle of the table that usually seats 6 and we made
room for 10 I think and 2 people stood and ate.
There were many toasts (gam bei) in celebration…this is Hayden’s
favorite part. Hayden stood strong
tonight and ate rice with soy sauce (mi fong and janyo) these are phonetically
correct, but certainly not spelled correctly.
But she did par take in a very large slice of cake that she was thrilled
to discover cherry tomatoes and pineapple!
It was a delicious cake and I think in the end most of it was
eaten.
| cake with sparkler lotus that spun while they sang to me in both english and chinese<3 and the amazing dinner that was prepared!!! I am going to diet when I get home:) |
Next were gifts!!
Yep….I thought we were finished too!!
Oh no even a 45 year old woman needs gifts. All I will say is now I know why Shiyu kept
asking me my dress size….Shiyu and her family gave me the loveliest dress from
Port Intl and I also was given a beautiful set of handcrafted combs that are
made right here in Chongqing that I am obsessed with, and well the list goes on
and I would hate to bore you. Let’s just
say a lot (too much) was given. I had already been given the most amazing
gift of a long visit for Hayden and I to China and the loveliest of times with
the whole family….oh and that facial!!!
LOL But I am working on being more gracious and so I just said thank you
a million times even though it seems not even close enough to show my
appreciation to them.
It was a great day and a birthday I will treasure and NEVER
forget!!!
We are literally counting the sleeps/hours till daddy
arrives!!! Oh it will be so good to
squeeze him<3
| split pants are alive and well in China |
| the officer that greets us when we pull into the neighborhood(what a boring and hot job) |
| westerner influence on new construction!!! |













4 comments:
Amazing! Oh howi would love the food! And most important is happy birthday my friend!
It is so fun to follow your travels to China. Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday friend!! ;) We are close in our birthdays :) Looks like yall are having such a great time! :) hugs!
Wow! Wow! Wow! What a birthday!! I seriously wanted to jump through the screen and join you!! The facial, the FOOD AND CAKE LOOKED SO GOOOOOD!!! The presents sounded so wonderful!! How delightful!!! They really blessed you. Something you will never forget.
Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment