Pink Velvet Baby

Thursday, May 31, 2012

3 new teeth and a new set of nerves for mama

Many of you know that we have been dealing with teeth issues for about 8 months with Hayden and thru other adoptive families we know that this is not unusual, and many of our friends have or in the middle of dealing with the same issues.  It seems it could be pre-natel or just genetic.  Doesn't really matter the reason why, we just needed to take care it and along with 3 opinions it appeared that caps were the route we would have to take with her front teeth.   We have obsessed over Hayden's teeth and have worked so hard brushing, flossing, rinsing, and fluoride treatments each day.  But her front teeth had reached a point that we had to take drastic measures in order to keep her healthy, pain free and trouble later on with her permanent teeth.

We were scheduled a few weeks ago, but Hayden woke with a bad cough so we had to postpone....this was having to be done under anesthesia.....oh yeah that has had me freaked out and on the verge of a breakdown for about 60 days now. 

We headed out VERY early this morning and my little sweet pea was such a champ!!  Not one single tear.  They did a great job of having me hold her and they sprayed her leg with something very cold and then quickly did the shot before she even knew what happened.   We knew within 2-3 minutes she would be really looped out.  I held her the whole time and I was totally fine until I had to hand her over to the anesthesiologist.  I walked away with tears in my eyes.  I knew she was in good hands, but it is hard to see your child like that and know they have to go thru such an experience. 

2 hours later they were handing her off to me to hold while she woke up.  They had warned that she would be upset or crying.  She was not, just tired and very out of it.  She ended up having 3 caps done, sealants on all of her molars to help keep the cavities at bay(they do not normally do this for baby teeth, but he decided we needed to be pro-active)  She has been aggressive....due to the meds I think, but otherwise she has done great today!!  She was like a drunk sailor for a few hours which was funny and a little sad. 

Anyway, I hope this is all we have to do for awhile(gracious we can't afford anymore-LOL) Hopefully she isn't going to hate going to the dentist(like I did) and hopefully she gets use to the sealants and we get used to the glow in the dark white chicklets in her mouth!! 

Pre-Surgery

getting ready for sleepy shot

sleeping on the way home


3 Shiny white chicklets:)
                                             This too shall pass!!!

4 comments:

michelle said...

I'm so glad that Hayden is doing well! Anesthesia is awful. I remember when Lexie had her surgery and the look in her eyes as they put the mask on her face and then she was asleep and having to leave her. Saddest day of my life!

Hopefully this helps her teeth and there won't be any more problems in the future. Her new teeth look awesome! Hayden is such a brave little girl and I knew she would be a rock star! Give her lots of hugs and let her know that Lexie and I are thinking of her.

By the way, I showed Lexie the picture of Hayden playing with her dogs, so she took them out and has been playing with them too!

Dianne said...

So happy that things went with well with the dentist! Can't wait to see you guys in Chicago!

Nana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nana said...

Hayden what a little trooper!
Your teeth look great. Hopefully
you won't have to go back any time
soon.

Your Mommy had to have the same
thing done about the same age.

Hugs and Kisses, Nana