We made it safe and sound and truly can not tell you what a GREAT
traveler Hayden Magee is......She did amazing. Our day started very
early on Sun and got on a 7:25 flt to Detroit where we met up with Shiyu
who was exhausted from 3 weeks of working summer orientation at
Denison. We were a bit concerned about whether we would actually get on
the flight to Shanghai, it was really full and for a bit it was not
looking promising(gotta love the perks of standby travel as an airline
employee) But we were fortunate enough to be 3 of the lucky 6 that got
on.....Shiyu scoring a business class seat as me and the 3 year old
headed for coach:) I was thrilled we sat next to a super nice lady from
NC who was going on business and was not at all wearing the face of
"winner of the short straw" I am sitting next to a pre-schooler for the
next 15 hours!! Hayden did have some issues with the fact that Shiyu
sat in business and she was sent packing to coach.....She pretty much
talked about the travesty of it all all the way here and is still
discussing it. When we boarded our flight to Chongqing we were seated
next to each other but the row across was empty and Shiyu "attempted" a
move over there to give us more room......that did not work out and we
"all" sat snug as bugs in a rug:) Someone is also already discussing
where everyone is sitting on the way home.
Anyway, I have to say and sadly admit I was basically
terrified of this flight and what was to come. Hayden is a professional
traveler, she loves to travel, and we have had very few problems or
issues with her on the plane. However we do not make a habit of 15 hour
flights and 26 hour travel days. But let me just just tell you that
she was AWESOME!!! I know she was awesome because the people around us
complimented her on a job well done. She only slept about 4 hours of
the flight. 1 hour at the beginning and 3 at the end. Yep the rest of
the time she watched movies, colored, talked, ate, played with her
dogs(thanks lexie) and basically just chilled out. She fought the sleep
really hard, but in general I would say she did better than I did. I
had really had enough at hours 7 and then was ready to bail by hour 10.
But she handled it like a pro and I have to say I am incredibly proud
of her.
We spent the first day in Shanghai and all I can say is
WOW!!! What a beautiful city and full of grandeur and architecture.
We had lunch at a very famous dumpling house that we had eaten at in
Taipei. We met Shiyu best friend Chaio and had a GREAT time. She is in
town doing an internship for the summer and she was just so gracious to
come and meet us and entertain us for the afternoon. We rode a ferry,
went to the world financial center building and then rode the magnetic
train back to the airport(7 minutes people at 300 mph) it was
AWESOME!!!
We then boarded our flight for Chongqing and by
midnight we landed and were greeted by EVERYONE that Shiyu is related
to, is friends with, or perhaps has EVER met!! LOL they take this
meeting and departing the airport thing REALLY seriously. I was
handed the BIGGEST most beautiful bouquet of flowers I have EVER seen
and we were met with hugs and more excitement than you can imagine.
Hayden did well for about 3 min, and then the I am SO tired, and there
are WAY TOO many people trying to say hi, touch, or hold me that I can
deal with.....and broke out into full blown melt down mode:( She
recovered and while is still adjusting a bit to the time change is doing
fairly well. Around 4-6 p.m. is when she starts melting and to be
honest that is not that much different from home. The famous witching
hour.
Anyway, we are here and feels great to unpack, and see
Shiyu surrounded by those she loves so dearly. I love that this family
embraces Hayden as their own. They could not be happier or more excited
about her visiting. They have again rolled out the red carpet and
already done WAY too much. Everything to make sure the princess is
comfortable.
I have to tell you that when we were here before we did
not have Hayden yet.....and so we did get some stares, but nothing that
unusual. When we had Hayden in Taiwan, we didn't go out that much
because Hayden was grieving so hard. So I had very little interaction
with eyes staring or mouths whispering. But MAN this trip is totally
different. The stares are just uncomfortable and filled with curiosity
as well as a bit of ....well I am not actually sure, but for the most
part it does not feel that positive. It seems Hayden had not really
taken notice and hoping that continues. Today someone was certain that I
must be Shiyu's mother in law and Hayden was my granddaughter.
Yesterday at the airport we had a girl walking with a friend that
literally almost fell down because she wasn't paying attention to
walking and instead was too busy staring at Hayden and I....it was funny
and hard not to laugh.
Well we are off to Chengdu this weekend for the Dragon
boat festival and hopefully see the panda sanctuary. Should be a blast
and I think Hayden will have a great time.
I am mailing my
posts as it seems that I can not get on blogger. So updates will not
come everyday. I also can not access FaceBook. Seems the Chinese are
not interested in where I want to go online!!
Thanks for sending us good thoughts for the flight, I would say it worked 10 times over.
enjoy the pictures.

















2 comments:
I am so glad that you made your flights and that Hayden was a great traveler.
I know what you mean about the stares. I have no idea what people were saying and probably don't really want to know. It was very uncomfortable for me especially when people kept touching C and then rambled on about something.
So happy that you made it there safe and sound! How cool knowing those little doggies went from Hawaii to Dallas and now all the way to China. Glad they kept Miss H occupied on the plane.
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far!
Post a Comment